Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Jim Lambers:

I was one of Joe's last students, before Gene Golub took over as my adviser upon Joe's retirement. One thing in particular that I admired about him was his ability to recognize potential new applications for existing ideas, including those from outside of computational mathematics. My work with him originated from a purely analytical paper by Charles Fefferman on the Uncertainty Principle. Joe believed that the ideas in this paper could be useful for computational methods. This readiness to examine old ideas in a new light set an example for me to follow.

I have been thinking that a nice way to honor Joe's memory would be a survey paper that summarizes not only his work, but also what has emerged from it, through the work of his students. I would be interested in hearing any thoughts about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home