Monday, December 19, 2005

Michael Overton:

I have very fond memores of Joe Oliger. He and his wife Debbie were very kind to me when I was a graduate student, especially my first year, when everything was still so strange and he was the only NA professor at Serra House (Gene was away on sabbatical).

His kindness and encouragement were certainly big factors in my completing that first year successfully and feeling ready ready to go on.... Later, in the summer of 1982, when I stayed in the same house as Marsha and Jonathan next door to Joe and Debbie, I had some great times with them.
One time, they went away and I drove Nick and Jason up to San Francisco in the Oligers' Volvo station wagon for a day in the city ending with dropping them off at the bus station where they were catching an overnight bus to summer camp. The three of us had a great time but the day ended very dramatically when I realized I had locked the keys in the car and we did not have much time before being due at the bus station - and Nick and Jason's stuff was all in the car! There happened to be a security guard working by the car and when he saw our quandary he offered to break the window for us - there was no time to wait for AAA! His first attempt failed so he returned with a sledgehammer: BANG!, the window was history. Nick and Jason were very impressed and so was Joe when he returned from the trip and I told him the story!Meanwhile Rob had kindly helped me replace the window - sort of! I had screwed up by buying the wrong part but Joe didn't care -he thought the story was so great! Anyway, that's what he let me think and I think it was true.

Joe was one of the kindest and gentlest people I ever met. I was very sorry not to see him much in the last 20 years, but I have nothing but fond memories of him.

Michael Overton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home